Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Are You Like a Tree Planted by a Riverbank?

 Meditate.

A Tree Planted Along a Riverbank
Near a Kibbutz - Northern Israel


Oh, the joys of those who do not follow the advice of the wicked, or stand around with sinners, or join in with mockers. But they delight in the law of the LORD, meditating on it day and night. They are like trees planted along the riverbank, bearing fruit each season. Their leaves never wither, and they prosper in all they do. But not the wicked! They are like worthless chaff, scattered by the wind. They will be condemned at the time of judgment. Sinners will have no place among the godly. For the LORD watches over the path of the godly, but the path of the wicked leads to destruction. Psalm 1:1-6

Blessed [is] the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight [is] in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper. The ungodly [are] not so: but [are] like the chaff which the wind driveth away. Therefore the ungodly shall not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous. For the LORD knoweth the way of the righteous: but the way of the ungodly shall perish. Psalm 1:1-6 KJV 

When I was in seventh grade I memorized this scripture passage in the King James Version as part of my church confirmation class. Sometime memorizing may seem like it is beyond your ability—so just meditate on His word. Focus. Repeat the verse over and over. Ask yourself: how does the verse apply to your life? Think on it. Part of meditating on God’s word is to spend time quietly listening to God’s guidance. What is He telling you from this scripture passage? 

Anyone who walks the way Jesus walks…not in the counsel of the wicked; stands with the righteous—not with the sinners; and sits in the seat alongside those who are positive and encouraging—not the scoffers, is blessed. How does one learn about walking with Jesus, being righteous or encouraging others? The best way is to know God’s word. Knowing it in your heart, not just your mind.

Help me understand the meaning of your commandments, and I will meditate on your wonderful deeds. Psalm 119:27

Joyful are people of integrity, who follow the instructions of the LORD. Joyful are those who obey his laws and search for him with all their hearts. They do not compromise with evil, and they walk only in his paths. You have charged us to keep your commandments carefully. Oh, that my actions would consistently reflect your decrees! Then I will not be ashamed when I compare my life with your commands. As I learn your righteous regulations, I will thank you by living as I should! I will obey your decrees. Please don't give up on me! ...I lie in the dust; revive me by your word. I told you my plans, and you answered. Now teach me your decrees. Help me understand the meaning of your commandments, and I will meditate on your wonderful deeds. I weep with sorrow; encourage me by your word. Keep me from lying to myself; give me the privilege of knowing your instructions. I have chosen to be faithful; I have determined to live by your regulations. I cling to your laws. LORD, don't let me be put to shame! Psalm 119:1-8, 25-31

Meditate. Think on these things. Are you meditating on God’s word today? 

Consider the ways of the wicked. This focus passage today tells us that the wicked will face judgment. Along with the wicked, will you face condemnation at judgment?

Prayer ~ Lord God, You are my God; I earnestly search for you. My soul thirsts for you; my whole body longs for You in this parched and weary land where there is no water. ... I lie awake thinking of You, meditating on You and on Your Word through the night. Psalm 63:1, 6

Verse of Salvation ~ So you see, the Lord knows how to rescue godly people from their trials, even while keeping the wicked under punishment until the day of final judgment. 2 Peter 2:9

That “rescue” from the path of the wicked that leads to destruction gives you salvation from your sins and is what our sinless Savior, Jesus Christ, provided for us when He took our sins to the cross.

© 2020 Text, photos and illustrations by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved.

Unless otherwise indicated, all scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc. Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Scripture quotations marked KJV are taken from the King James Version of the Bible. Public domain.

Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - https://www.blb.org 

Follow And Like "Banquet With The King" on Facebook. 👍 


Parenting Day By Day 
Daily Devotional for Building Character 

Available as an e-book or paperback at Amazon.com

No comments: