Friday, October 11, 2019

Are You Firmly Anchored?


Meditate on This:
LORD, you are mine! I promise to obey your words! With all my heart I want your blessings. Be merciful as you promised. I pondered the direction of my life, and I turned to follow your laws. I will hurry, without delay, to obey your commands. Evil people try to drag me into sin, but I am firmly anchored to your instructions. I rise at midnight to thank you for your just regulations. I am a friend to anyone who fears you—anyone who obeys your commandments. Psalm 119:57-63

Fishing anchors at the Sea of Galilee
Israel

Are you firmly anchored?
Obey. That is the keyword. Jesus was obedient…and I need to be the same. What a great prayer these verses from Psalm 119 are to Jesus… I promise to obey your words…to obey your commands! I am firmly anchored to your instructions or commandments.

Do you think about the direction of your life…as this psalmist did? Consider and ponder where life is leading you…or the path that you are taking? I’ve been thinking about where I’ve been…where I am and where I’m going. Sometimes life seems like Solomon was right…all is vanity.
Thus I considered all my activities which my hands had done and the labor which I had exerted, and behold all was vanity and striving after wind and there was no profit under the sun. 
Ecclesiastes 2:11 NASB
Other times I know that life is worth living…it is not in vain. There is such importance in following God’s path and trusting Him…and not looking back—just as Jesus taught.
Trust in the LORD with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take. Don't be impressed with your own wisdom. Instead, fear the LORD and turn away from evil. Proverbs 3:5-7

But Jesus told him, "Anyone who puts a hand to the plow and then looks back is not fit for the Kingdom of God." Luke 9:62
 Taking some time for reflection is good. Be still, feel the presence of the Lord, and listen.
Be still in the presence of the LORD, and wait patiently for him to act. Don't worry about evil people who prosper or fret about their wicked schemes. Psalm 37:7

Be still, and know that I am God! I will be honored by every nation. I will be honored throughout the world. Psalm 46:10

Listen to me, all who hope for deliverance—all who seek the LORD! Consider the rock from which you were cut, the quarry from which you were mined. Isaiah 51:1

 After you think a bit about where you are and the influence of Jesus on your life…then you might want to do as the psalmist did…tell Him that you will obey His commandments and say that those who do the same are your friends.

Prayer ~ LORD, you are mine! I promise to obey your words! With all my heart I want your blessings. Be merciful as you promised. I pondered the direction of my life, and I turned to follow your laws. I will hurry, without delay, to obey your commands. Evil people try to drag me into sin, but I am firmly anchored to your instructions. I rise at midnight to thank you for your just regulations. I am a friend to anyone who fears you—anyone who obeys your commandments. Psalm 119:57-63

Daily Bible Reading: Matthew 9; Luke 7

Friday’s Feast at the King’s Table
It is pumpkin time of the year. One of my favorite pumpkin “foods” is Pumpkin Cookies.

Pumpkin Cookies
4 cups flour
2 cups rolled oats
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1½ c unsalted butter softened
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
1 egg or 1 Tbsp chia seeds in ½ cup water
1 tsp vanilla
16 oz canned pumpkin (or 2 cups fresh puree)
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips – prefer mini

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Combine flour, oats, soda, cinnamon, and salt – set aside.
Cream butter and add sugars, beating until light and fluffy.
Add egg and vanilla. Mix well. Alternate adding flour mixture and pumpkin.
Mix well. Add chocolate chips.

Drop dough onto parchment-lined or lightly greased cookie sheet.
Use ¼ cup per cookie for 32 large cookies or a smaller amount for smaller cookies.

Bake 15-25 minutes depending on the size of the cookie.
For variation add raisins instead of chips. Add chopped walnuts.

© 2019 Text and photos by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved.
Unless otherwise indicated, all scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc. Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - https://www.blueletterbible.org/.
Follow And Like "Banquet With The King" on Facebook. 👍

No comments: