Sunday, November 18, 2018

Don’t Gossip or Speak Against Your Friends


Who may worship in your sanctuary, LORD? Who may enter your presence on your holy hill? Those who lead blameless lives and do what is right, speaking the truth from sincere hearts. Those who refuse to gossip or harm their neighbors or speak evil of their friends. Those who despise flagrant sinners, and honor the faithful followers of the LORD, and keep their promises even when it hurts. Those who lend money without charging interest, and who cannot be bribed to lie about the innocent. Such people will stand firm forever. Psalm 15:1-5



Hollyhocks in Israel
Who can worship on the Lord's Holy Hill?
Refuse to gossip or harm their neighbors or speak evil of their friends. Is that how someone would describe you? It is so easy to get caught up in gossip. A conversation may start about the weather—that is always a safe topic and one about which everyone has an opinion. But soon the chatter may go to what so and so is doing…how they treat their husband, children, parents, neighbors, co-workers, friends or church family. Is that a good conversation which will bring glory to God? I think not. Don’t get involved. In his great wisdom Solomon wrote some good advice about gossiping in Proverbs.
A gossip goes around telling secrets, but those who are trustworthy can keep a confidence. Proverbs 11:13 (Be that trustworthy friend.)

A troublemaker plants seeds of strife; gossip separates the best of friends. Proverbs 16:28
(Plant seeds of encouragement to grow in your friendships.)

Others may accuse you of gossip, and you will never regain your good reputation. Proverbs 25:10 (Don’t gossip—so you won’t be accused of it.)

One of my favorite verses encourages everyone to think about good things. That is the best thing to do—for yourself and for your family, friends and neighbors.
And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise. Philippians 4:8
Think about the good and what is pleasing to the Lord. That is my goal for today…for every day. What about you?

Prayer ~ Jesus, You have tested my thoughts and examined my heart in the night. You have scrutinized me and found nothing wrong. I am determined not to sin in what I say. I have followed your commands, which keep me from following cruel and evil people. My steps have stayed on your path; I have not wavered from following you. I am praying to you because I know you will answer, O God. Bend down and listen as I pray. Show me your unfailing love in wonderful ways. By your mighty power you rescue those who seek refuge from their enemies. Psalm 17:3-7

Daily Bible Reading: Acts 7-8

© 2018 Text and Photos by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved.
All scripture quoted from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless otherwise noted.
Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - http://v3.blueletterbible.org/search.cfm.
Follow And Like "Banquet With The King" on Facebook. 👍
Only 37 Days Until Christmas

No comments: