Sunday, November 25, 2018

Hold Your Tongue?


Dear brothers and sisters, not many of you should become teachers in the church, for we who teach will be judged more strictly. Indeed, we all make many mistakes. For if we could control our tongues, we would be perfect and could also control ourselves in every other way. We can make a large horse go wherever we want by means of a small bit in its mouth. And a small rudder makes a huge ship turn wherever the pilot chooses to go, even though the winds are strong. In the same way, the tongue is a small thing that makes grand speeches. But a tiny spark can set a great forest on fire. And the tongue is a flame of fire. It is a whole world of wickedness, corrupting your entire body. It can set your whole life on fire, for it is set on fire by hell itself. People can tame all kinds of animals, birds, reptiles, and fish, but no one can tame the tongue. It is restless and evil, full of deadly poison. Sometimes it praises our Lord and Father, and sometimes it curses those who have been made in the image of God. And so blessing and cursing come pouring out of the same mouth. Surely, my brothers and sisters, this is not right! James 3:1-10  
My tongue often gets me into trouble. I speak without thinking, voicing my opinion—maybe finishing others sentences without regard to what they're really meaning. Oops. Actually rude. Are my thoughts any more important or pertinent than others? Certainly not more creative, original or righteous than others. How does one "tame" their tongue? In the past I've struggled with some cussing. I grew up on a farm and had a friend who cussed like an old ranch hand--what a horrible habit for me to pick-up. At any rate it was still a struggle after I became a Christian and then I learned the concept of "renewing my mind." It wasn't just my tongue than needed to be controlled--my mind needed to be renewed--sort of like rebooting your computer. God was gracious--and did just that for me. 
Don't use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them. Ephesians 4:29. 

Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect. Romans 12:1-2 NASB
This verse in the NLT says...Don't copy the behavior of this world.

Let your mind be transformed. Be like those transformer cars or even like ancient statues that reveal a different form or character. The mind controls the body...and with God's help...the heart will be respected...and respectful. That could lead to a controlled tongue, and that is a beautiful thing—worthy of God's attention. 

Prayer - Lord - give me grace to speak kindly to others...and to love them as I love myself. Tame my tongue. Transform my heart and my mind to be pleasing to you.

Daily Bible Reading: Galatians 4-6
Happy Birthday Andrew!
© 2018 Text and Photos by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved.
All scripture quoted from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless otherwise noted.
Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - http://v3.blueletterbible.org/search.cfm.
Follow And Like "Banquet With The King" on Facebook. 👍
Only 30 Days Until Christmas

No comments: