Wednesday, June 12, 2024

How To Stay Pure

Prayer – Lord, thanks you for direct, specific and encouraging teachings. I love to study Your word and find nuggets of truth You have hidden for us there. Open our eyes to see those truths and apply them to our lives.

How can a young person stay pure? By obeying your word. I have tried hard to find you—don't let me wander from your commands. I have hidden your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you. I praise you, O LORD; teach me your decrees. I have recited aloud all the regulations you have given us. I have rejoiced in your laws as much as in riches. I will study your commandments and reflect on your ways. I will delight in your decrees and not forget your word. Be good to your servant, that I may live and obey your word. Open my eyes to see the wonderful truths in your instructions. Psalm 119:9-18 (Underlined for emphasis.)

 

Meditate. Consider God’s guidance in scripture. Study God’s word and listen to what He is saying.

 

The purity of the water lily.

Through David God give us some specific teaching or guidance on how to stay pure. Purity is essential in our relationship to the Lord. He commands us to be pure or holy as He is holy.

For I, the LORD, am the one who brought you up from the land of Egypt, that I might be your God. Therefore, you must be holy because I am holy. Leviticus 11:45 NLT

David is telling God, and us, that he has been searching for the Lord and does not want to sin against Him. The points that David makes to staying pure include:


-        Obedience

-        Memorizing God’s word

-        Worship and praising God

-        Reciting God’s commandment aloud

-        Studying God’s commandments or all of His word

-        Contemplate God’s requirements

-        Being kind to other Christians who are serving the Lord.


I like to make and follow To Do Lists, but it is best not to make lists that become just a checklist that you religiously and righteously follow to seek God’s blessing. God wants us to be in relationship with Him…not to be like the Pharisees following rituals and creating rules, not truly seeking the Lord. Don’t let these guidelines become your worship, rather than worshipping Almighty God Himself. Even David asked God to open his eyes, desiring to see God’s truths. One of those truths is finding purity—to be like Jesus. Holy. Is that your choice today?

 

Verse of Salvation ~ As for us, we can't help but thank God for you, dear brothers and sisters loved by the Lord. We are always thankful that God chose you to be among the first to experience salvation—a salvation that came through the Spirit who makes you holy and through your belief in the truth. 2 Thessalonians 2:13 NLT

 

© 2024 Text, photos, and illustrations by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved. 

All scripture quoted from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless otherwise noted. 

New Living Translation copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation. 

Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - http://v3.blueletterbible.org/search.cfm

 

Books by Mickey M. Hunacek

Available as e-books or paperbacks at Amazon.com

 

Parenting Day By Day - Daily Devotional for Building Character

Coins in the Bible: New Testament Stories

No comments: