Saturday, April 9, 2022

Work Willingly and Enthusiastically

Prayer – Lord, I don’t want to be a slacker. I want to work willingly and enthusiastically for You—whether here on earth…or one day in heaven. I will go where You want me to go…and do what You want me to do. Thank You for forgiving my sins. When I repented of my sin and You forgave me, it was the beginning of my new life in You.

Be strong and immovable.
Heavy stones used to press olives
when making olive oil.
Israel 

For sin is the sting that results in death, and the law gives sin its power. But thank God! He gives us victory over sin and death through our Lord Jesus Christ. So, my dear brothers and sisters, be strong and immovable. Always work enthusiastically for the Lord, for you know that nothing you do for the Lord is ever useless. 1 Corinthians 15:56-58


Meditate. Think about the work Jesus did…and the work you do.

 

Work enthusiastically. God was Himself a good worker. Look at the Creation story in Genesis. He didn’t rest until His work was done. Jesus worked tirelessly healing, teaching, and counseling His followers. That was His way of showing love…until He ultimately died on the cross for all of us. Paul gives us some insight into working and loving others in his letter to the church in Rome.

Don't just pretend to love others. Really love them. Hate what is wrong. Hold tightly to what is good. Love each other with genuine affection, and take delight in honoring each other. Never be lazy, but work hard and serve the Lord enthusiastically. Rejoice in our confident hope. Be patient in trouble, and keep on praying. When God's people are in need, be ready to help them. Always be eager to practice hospitality. Romans 12:9-13

 

Paul taught the church at Colossi that they should work willingly. That is the same way we should work at our jobs or homes. I distinctly remember as a young Christian and new wife that I learned a lesson in working for the Lord—in serving my husband as if he were the Lord. I was complaining about always having to starch and iron my husband’s work shirts every day and a precious lady in my Bible Study group advised me to iron those shirts and have them ready every morning…as if I was doing it for the Lord Himself. That changed my attitude. I rarely complained about that task again.

Work willingly at whatever you do, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people. Colossians 3:23

So, work…not to get rewarded, but to sincerely help others. Your work is not going to get you into heaven. That is only a gift from God. But your work might just help someone to make the right choice to follow Jesus. Work willingly and enthusiastically.

 

Verse of Salvation ~ Create in me a clean heart, O God. Renew a loyal spirit within me. Do not banish me from your presence, and don't take your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation, and make me willing to obey you. Psalm 51:10-12

 

Memory Verse of the Week ~ Work willingly at whatever you do, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people. Colossians 3:23

 

Did you memorize this verse? Did you discuss it with Christian friends?

 

© 2022 Text, photos, and illustrations by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved. 

All scripture quoted from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless otherwise noted. 

New Living Translation copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation. 

Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - http://v3.blueletterbible.org/search.cfm

 

Books by Mickey M. Hunacek

Available as e-books or paperbacks at Amazon.com

 

Parenting Day By Day - Daily Devotional for Building Character

Coins in the Bible: New Testament Stories

No comments: