Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Friends Form Bonds


Then David took an oath before Jonathan and said, "Your father knows perfectly well about our friendship, so he has said to himself, 'I won't tell Jonathan--why should I hurt him?' But I swear to you that I am only a step away from death! I swear it by the LORD and by your own soul!" "Tell me what I can do to help you," Jonathan exclaimed. David replied, "Tomorrow we celebrate the new moon festival. I've always eaten with the king on this occasion, but tomorrow I'll hide in the field and stay there until the evening of the third day. If your father asks where I am, tell him I asked permission to go home to Bethlehem for an annual family sacrifice. If he says, 'Fine!' you will know all is well. But if he is angry and loses his temper, you will know he is determined to kill me. Show me this loyalty as my sworn friend--for we made a solemn pact before the LORD--or kill me yourself if I have sinned against your father. But please don't betray me to him!" "Never!" Jonathan exclaimed. "You know that if I had the slightest notion my father was planning to kill you, I would tell you at once." ... And may the LORD make us keep our promises to each other, for he has witnessed them." ... At last Jonathan said to David, "Go in peace, for we have sworn loyalty to each other in the LORD's name. The LORD is the witness of a bond between us and our children forever." Then David left, and Jonathan returned to the town. 1 Samuel 20:3-9, 23, 42

Friends form bonds. Look at the relationship of David and Jonathan, son of King Saul. Right after the shepherd boy, David, killed the giant Philistine, Goliath, David met Jonathan.
After David had finished talking with Saul, he met Jonathan, the king's son. There was an immediate bond between them, for Jonathan loved David. From that day on Saul kept David with him and wouldn't let him return home. And Jonathan made a solemn pact with David, because he loved him as he loved himself. Jonathan sealed the pact by taking off his robe and giving it to David, together with his tunic, sword, bow, and belt. 1 Samuel 18:1-4

The "Bow" in the sky was God's promise.
A covenant promise to all the people of the world.j
Giving someone your tunic or robe, belt, and weapon was a significant part of a covenant in Old Testament times. As James L, Garlow explains in his book The Covenant, the first step in making a covenant was the exchanging of robes and identities. The next step was to exchange belts and thus to exchange strength. Next was the exchange of weapons, likely hanging from the military belt, which signified a willingness to protect each other. By giving these things to David, Jonathan was making a covenant of friendship with him. Jonathan’s devotion to David was evident when he helped him escape from King Saul’s wrath. David pleaded with Jonathan not to betray him to Jonathan’s father. 

This covenant extended to their families and later after Jonathan dies, David takes care of Jonathan’s son, Mephibosheth, who frequently ate at King David’s table. David kept his promise of loyalty to Jonathan. That bond extended between them and their children… forever. You can read the detail about David’s life in First and Second Samuel and in First Chronicles.  

Have you formed bonds with your friends? What hold those relationships together? Is it an unspoken promise—or have you actually verbally made a commitment with particular friends? Does this bond include a relationship with Jesus?

Prayer ~ Lord Jesus, help me to have honest conversations with friends that allow our bonds to be strong and centered on You.

Daily Bible Reading: Matthew 14; Mark 6; Luke 9

© 2018 photo and text by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved.
All scripture quoted from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless otherwise noted.
Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - http://v3.blueletterbible.org/search.cfm.
Follow And Like "Banquet With The King" on Facebook. 👍

No comments: