Saturday, February 4, 2017

Who Made Your Mouth?

But Moses pleaded with the LORD, "O Lord, I'm not very good with words. I never have been, and I'm not now, even though you have spoken to me. I get tongue-tied, and my words get tangled." Then the LORD asked Moses, "Who makes a person's mouth? Who decides whether people speak or do not speak, hear or do not hear, see or do not see? Is it not I, the LORD? Now go! I will be with you as you speak, and I will instruct you in what to say." But Moses again pleaded, "Lord, please! Send anyone else." Then the LORD became angry with Moses. "All right," he said. "What about your brother, Aaron the Levite? I know he speaks well. And look! He is on his way to meet you now. He will be delighted to see you. Talk to him, and put the words in his mouth. I will be with both of you as you speak, and I will instruct you both in what to do. Aaron will be your spokesman to the people. He will be your mouthpiece, and you will stand in the place of God for him, telling him what to say. And take your shepherd's staff with you, and use it to perform the miraculous signs I have shown you." Exodus 4:10-17 

Moses—what a wimp! I can’t do this for you, God. I can’t speak eloquently.  So different from later on when the prophet Isaiah had a similar conversation with the Lord. Then I (Isaiah) heard the Lord asking, "Whom should I send as a messenger to this people? Who will go for us?" I said, "Here I am. Send me." Isaiah 6:8. Which would be your response if the Lord was asking you to go somewhere and speak to others for Him? I just can’t do that…or send me? If you go...will you speak with the boldness of Peter?
Statue at Capernaum - Peter's Home
Send me...give me bold words to speak.

God promised…I will…be with you and tell you what to say and do. That is a great promise. Sometimes it is difficult to find just the right words to say…and here God is giving Moses the assurance that he won’t have to worry about it. God will speak through him. He made Moses mouth—all of our mouths…so He could give Moses and Aaron the right words to say. He’ll do the same for us, if we ask Him. Will you have an opportunity soon to speak out for the Lord? Do you look for chances to tell others about God—about what He has done and is doing in your life? Do you claim the promises that He gave to Moses and Aaron…I will teach you what to say and do…I will be with you as you speak? 

Prayer ~ Lord God…You are the God of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Moses and me. Open my eyes and heart today to show me how You can use me…and give me the right words to say to people around me wherever I am…at the grocery store, a doctor appointment, the library, or even at the Post Office. You are always with me. May Your words and actions become my words and actions.

Daily Bible Reading: February  4 – Exodus 16-18

© 2017 by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved.

All scripture quoted from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless otherwise noted

Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - http://v3.blueletterbible.org/search.cfm

No comments: