Friday, October 21, 2016

Give Me Discernment

O LORD, listen to my cry; give me the discerning mind you promised. Psalm 119:169

A wise discerning mind. That is the kind of mind I want. What does it mean to discern? To distinguish or to judge—but it goes beyond that to a depth of understanding, an awareness of what is happening around me and those who are with me.

So let us discern for ourselves what is right; let us learn together what is good. Job 34:4.

He gives one person the power to perform miracles, and another the ability to prophesy. He gives someone else the ability to discern whether a message is from the Spirit of God or from another spirit. Still another person is given the ability to speak in unknown languages, while another is given the ability to interpret what is being said. 1 Corinthians 12:10.

Are you spiritual discerning? Do you allow God to guide you in the choices you make, day by day…moment by moment? I think that the little choices we make are just as critical as the big life changing choices, especially as we grow older and don’t have so many “big” choices to make. We’ve already chosen our career…and as a retired person that is basically over. But there are continually choices to make…what to do today? How can I serve You, Lord? Have you put on your spiritual armor today? That is an important choice to make every day…and then to discern when the spiritual battle is raging around you and others. Pray and put on the armor that our Lord has provided. 


Prayer ~ Lord, I humbly put on all of the armor that You provide so that I will be able to stand firm against all strategies of the devil. For I am not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places. Therefore, I put on every piece of Your armor so I will be able to resist the enemy in the time of evil. Then after the battle I will still be standing firm. I stand my ground, putting on the belt of truth and the body armor of Your righteousness. For shoes, I put on the peace that comes from the Good News so that I will be fully prepared. In addition to all of these, I hold up the shield of faith to stop the fiery arrows of the devil. I put on salvation as my helmet, and take the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. I pray in the Spirit at all times and on every occasion. I will stay alert and be persistent in my prayers for all believers everywhere. Ephesians 6:11-18. Thank you, Jesus, for your love, grace, mercy and discernment in my life…and in the lives of my family, friends and neighbor, too.


Friday’s Feast at the King’s Table
It is the best time of the year for fresh beets. One of our favorite ways to serve beets is pickled. If you are making pickled beets, why not have some pickled eggs, too? The beet juice is such a delightful dye.

Pickled Beets (adapted from Betty Crocker’s Cookbook, 1972)

2 lb fresh beets (about 8 medium sized), or 2 cans -1 pound each
1½ cups sugar
¾ cups apple cider vinegar
2 3-inch cinnamon sticks
1 tbsp whole cloves, optional
1 tsp allspice, optional

Scrub the fresh beets well. Cook beets in several cups of water. Add 1 tbsp vinegar to preserve color and about 1 tsp salt. Cover and heat to boil, cook 30-45 minutes or until tender. Drain, reserving the liquid. Run cold water over beets. Cut off the ends and slip off the skins. You may want to wear disposable gloves to keep your hands from being stained. Slice to desired size or shape. If they are small beets, you can leave them whole.

Add sugar, vinegar and spices to the reserved beet liquid (using the beet liquid from canned beets). Heat to boiling, stirring occasionally. Pour over beets; cool. Cover and refrigerate at least 8 hours.
Remove beets with a slotted spoon to serve.

Pickled Eggs
Hard boil several eggs. Peel and add to pickled beet juice.
Wait at least twenty-four hours before serving.

© 2016 by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved.
All scripture quoted from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless otherwise noted.

Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - http://v3.blueletterbible.org/search.cfm.

No comments: