Tuesday, January 15, 2013

January 15 – Follow in Obedience

You shall follow the LORD your God and fear Him; and you shall keep His commandments, listen to His voice, serve Him, and cling to Him. Deuteronomy 13:4

Obedience is submitting to God’s authority and recognizing the authority and direction of others, like our pastor, so that we can be part of a healthy relationship. That relationship is with God…but also any relationship with your spouse, children, boss, co-workers, friends, neighbors may have some level of obedience involved. Even it is just obediently listening to them, not being distracted. When someone really listens to another person, they both feel loved. It strengthens the bonds of that relationship.

One of my favorite stories of my husband when he was a little boy is that of when he had to do the dishes and he rebelliously said, “OK, I’ll do the dishes, but I won’t do them good.” That is so typical of kids. I’ll do it, but I’m not putting my whole heart into it so it’s not going to be done right. That rebellion is just what God wants to remove from our lives. We are to follow His Word and His ways, obediently. There was a time as a young wife that I resented having to iron a shirt every morning for my husband—or even just to have to starch and iron five shirts a week. But then one day in a Bible study that I was attending we studied Colossians 3:23, Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance. It is the Lord Christ whom you serve. So I was convicted that I should be ironing my husband’s shirts as if I were ironing those shirts for Jesus Himself. That changed my whole attitude…and it went beyond ironing shirts to cleaning the house, fixing meals, and when I had children, even raising my kids. Although sometimes I will admit that I lost sight of that vision…and my obedience to the Lord! I am only human. I still need reminders that I need to treat everyone as if they were Jesus.

Training Tip – Be actively engaged in relationships that you have. Keep God’s commandments, listen to Him, serve Him and cling to Him. Listen to your spouse, children, parents, friends, co-workers, neighbors and others around you with the same level of obedience that you would give to the Lord. 

Lord – I submit myself to You, asking You to help me keep Your commandments. Help me to not only listen to You, but to attentively listen to those around me and serve them as I would You.

All scripture quoted from the New American Standard Bible (NASB) unless otherwise noted.
© 2013 by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved.

No comments: