Thursday, February 7, 2013

February 7 - Learning to Be Content

But I rejoiced in the Lord greatly, that now at last you have revived your concern for me; indeed, you were concerned before, but you lacked opportunity. Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need. I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Philippians 4:10-13 

Learned to be content…learn. I thought that we can’t teach contentment, but God gives us this verse instructing us to “learn” to be content with our circumstances. What does it take to “learn” something? There are four basic learning styles and thus groups of learners:

·         Visual or Spatial learners – learn by seeing. Best taught by flash cards, board games, and picture association like drawing pictures of story heard.

·         Auditory learners – learn just by listening. These students excel at oral lessons.

·         Touch and Feel or Tactile and Kinetic learners – need to integrate physical movement and activity into learning, like spelling out letters with arms or acting out stories.

·         Logical learners – learn by analyzing information. These students use word puzzles, problem solving exercises, synopsis writing and abstract questioning.
·      Combination learners – learn by using multiple learning methods. Such students may need to see and hear as well as touch to learn information. Many children use a combination of learning styles.
 
There is so much that we can learn about learning. People spend a lifetime studying learning. Of course, the internet has a wealth of information. http://www.ehow.com/facts_5179201_four-learning-styles.html Confucius, a Chinese philosopher who lived 551 - 479 BCE, said, “I hear, I forget; I see, I remember; I do, I understand.” So did that make him a combination type of learner? What learning style typifies each of your children? How about you? Personally, I’m mostly a visual learner—with some logical learner. How does this relate to “learning to be content?” I think that “seeing” things helps me to be content with what I have…not just hearing someone say, “be content with…this or that.” Yes. I have “learned” to be content--to not want the things that would keep me out of God's will for my life. I have to evaluate, not just doggedly accept things as they are.

Training Tip – Make a game of learning your children’s learning style, if it is not already evident. Present the same idea in three or four different ways so that you can evaluate the way they are learning. Talk to your children’s teachers to see if they have insight into their learning style.

Lord – Help my children, grandchildren and me to have a teachable attitude of contentment. Help us to be satisfied with what we have.

All scripture quoted from the New American Standard Bible (NASB) unless otherwise noted.
© 2013 by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved.

No comments: