Monday, October 29, 2012

October 29 – Obedience

"I know that you are Abraham's descendants; yet you seek to kill Me, because My word has no place in you. I speak the things which I have seen with My Father; therefore you also do the things which you heard from your father." They answered and said to Him, "Abraham is our father." Jesus said to them, "If you are Abraham's children, do the deeds of Abraham. But as it is, you are seeking to kill Me, a man who has told you the truth, which I heard from God; this Abraham did not do. You are doing the deeds of your father." They said to Him, "We were not born of fornication; we have one Father: God." Jesus said to them, "If God were your Father, you would love Me, for I proceeded forth and have come from God, for I have not even come on My own initiative, but He sent Me."  John 8:37-42 

What were Abraham’s deeds? He was the Father of Israel—the spiritual father of all mankind. His faith is still an example to us all. By faith Abraham, when he was called, obeyed by going out to a place which he was to receive for an inheritance; and he went out, not knowing where he was going. ... By faith Abraham, when he was tested, offered up Isaac, and he who had received the promises was offering up his only begotten son… Hebrews 11:8, 17 Abraham was obedient to God. It is apparent in Jesus’ red letter words above that the Jews were not trying to be like their father Abraham. They were not seeking to be obedient to God. They still wanted to kill Jesus…and that is NOT love. Later on Jesus taught, "Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13. If only the Jews could have seen the big picture. Jesus was their Messiah—there are still Jews today, looking for the Messiah who will come to save their nation. A Jew I spoke with in Israel explained to me that they are not looking for a Messiah to come to have an individual personal relationship with them, as Christians do with Jesus, but they are looking forward to when the Messiah comes to their nation as a whole. 

Obedience is the key word for Abraham and for Jesus. They both were obedient to the will and wishes of God the Father. That should be our goal, too. Obedience. Seek to know God’s perfect will for your life… that which is good, acceptable and perfect (See Romans 12:1-2) and do it. To know God’s will, read God’s word every day…and pray. 

Dear God, I want to be obedient to You and do what is right in Your eyes. I ask that You would guide my heart and thoughts that what I do, say and think would be acceptable to You.

© 2012 by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved.
All scripture quoted from the New American Standard Bible (NASB).

No comments: